Choosing the name of your blog is the first step to joining the blogger club. It’s also very intimidating. Bloggers would probably all agree that the name of a blog is essentially your first cry for attention. Are you going to go read a post on a blog called Inspired Musings or Dear Diary? Why not just call it BIG BORING BLOG and be upfront with the fact that your creativity went through menopause a long time ago.
And while I’m being my sweet and tactful self, let’s all be honest here and say it: insipid blog names are dime-a-dozen and we’re all prone to judge a blog by its name when we’re in a dismissive mood. It’s like when my sister asks me about a radio ad that just played and my response is usually ‘huh?’ I’ve trained my brain to drown out bad advertising. It’s a little bit glitchy in that I now drown out all advertising, but it’s a response that allows me to drive to work without taking a detour off the nearest bridge. Same thing with blogs. If the name of a blog stinks, my eyes just skip over it like it was never there. Now, you might be tempted to take a critical second look at the name of my blog. You’re right, it’s nothing special. But hey, I tried. Read below and you’ll see how.
The Band Name Generator
Optimism is for dummies. I knew I wasn’t going to come up with a cool name like Hyperbole and a Half, Jack Loves Kansas, Cape Town Girl or Bangers and Nash by myself. So I turned to the calculated creativity of a band name generator.
Here were a few names that didn’t make the cut:
- Alexander Of The Shitty Patrol (If there’s shit in the title, well…)
- Drooling Inertia (This might be more fitting for a paraplegic blogger.)
- Extra Kosher (For the love of bacon, no!)
- Rational Parcel Of The Apologetic Pecker (An apologetic pecker? That has to be an anomaly.)
- Poisonous Macaroon (How to kill a queen?)
- Rascal Of The Dumpster (Saving this one for a friend.)
- Cookie Of The Guiltless (Saving this one for a skinny bitch.)
- Extinction Of The Broken-hearted Vagabond (This sounds like a planned holocaust for lonely singletons.)
- Locker Of Despair (Let’s not go down that road)
Eventually I settled on Life on a Polkadot (ok, so I might’ve stolen it from my sister). There’s nothing especially marvelous about it, but it stuck. Honestly, it was either that or lose my job, home and Internet connection trying think up a memorable blog name. I’m too responsible to let that happen.
My friend in wilderness (getting engaged) – she also managed to capture how I feel right now: